Proverbs 31:12 states that a wife of noble character is to bring her husband “good not harm all the days of her life.” This verse does not only apply to women who have already met their spouses, but to single women as well. We should be living our life in a way that ultimately glorifies the Lord, and also in a way that would be faithful to a future husband. One way to live this out is by praying for your future husband even before you meet him.
Several years ago I was reminded of the power of prayer in this area after hearing a friend’s testimony. She shared that one night she woke up at 3am and felt the Lord telling her to pray for her future husband. She spent the remainder of the night in prayer because she knew he was in trouble. She continued to pray for him daily after that. A year later, when she was getting to know the man who now is her husband, he told her that he was involved in a car accident that almost took his life. As he told her the details of how it happened, it was exactly the date and time that the Lord woke her up to pray. When I heard this story I was reminded that God values and honors our prayers for a husband even when we cannot see what He is doing.
Recently, I read a book titled “Praying For Your Future Husband,” by Robin Jones Gunn and Tricia Goyer. In this, the authors share Biblical encouragement and wisdom on how to pray for your husband and prepare your heart for his. It also gives ways to pray for your sisters in Christ. I would like to share some of these, and I encourage you to spend some time this week in prayer for your future husband as well as your fellow sisters as we are trying to be the women God has called us to be.
- Pray for his Heart – Pray that your future husband will give his heart to Jesus Christ. Pray that he will trust the Lord each day to get him through whatever life may bring, and for his thoughts and actions to reflect the love of Christ. Pray these things also for yourself and your friends.
- Pray for Strength - Pray that your future husband will have inner-spiritual strength and that the Lord will give him strength to fight temptations and difficulties. Pray that the Lord will mold him into the leader he needs to be. Also, pray the same things for yourself and your friends. Pray that God will give you strength in areas where you are weakest and allow His strength to make you strong.
- Pray for Loyalty and Faithfulness - Pray that your future husband will be faithful to the Lord in every area of his life. Pray also that he is loyal to the friendships that God has already given him, and pray that he is already faithful to you. Pray these things for yourself and your friends.
- Pray for Protection - Pray that your future husband will be protected from the evil one. Pray that he puts on the armor of God each day and for the Lord to help him fight not only the outward sources that try to bring him down but also the sin nature inside. Also, pray the same protection each day for yourself and your friends.
- Pray for Contentment - Pray that your future husband will be content, and have patience as he waits for God to lead him to you. Pray that his heart will not be hardened during this time, but instead that he grow closer in his relationship with Christ. Pray that he spends his time focusing on serving Christ and others, and not dwelling on being single. Pray that Christ alone will always be enough. Pray for the same contentment for yourself and your friends.